Your partner of choice for chronic lung disease clinical trials in Australia.
An international leader in clinical trials, saving and improving lives through research.
We’ve been leading clinical trials in lung disease for more than two decades and have worked with sponsors and collaborators across Australia plus internationally.
Deciding to participate in a clinical trial is an important decision. Learn more before deciding to enrol.
We want to work with you to discover new medicines and treatments that evolve the practice of medicine and help people with lung disease live longer, better lives.
Why the Institute for Respiratory Health?
We have undertaken 253 trials in chronic lung disease including, asthma, COPD, alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency, bronchiectasis, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and cystic fibrosis, vaccines and COVID-19 home monitoring with more than 2400 patients.
- We are the largest specialised respiratory clinical trials unit within Western Australia.
- State-of-the-art facility.
- We have access to world-class respiratory physicians.
- We offer excellent ethics and governance processes.
- Our dedicated team members are experts in respiratory medicine.
- Close links with the state health department.
Why Australia and Perth?
Australian (TGA) clinical trials are typically four-six months faster than US (FDA) trials. They are often a third of the cost and delivered at an exceptional standard. Benefits include:
- Quality medical research infrastructure and a skilled workforce.
- Asian time zone.
- An ethnically diverse, English-speaking population.
- A world-class healthcare system.
- Fast-tracked approvals.
What is a clinical trial?
Clinical trials are research studies with volunteers designed to learn more about how our bodies respond to medications or other treatments. We are grateful to the thousands of volunteers who participate in our clinical trials – making this all possible.
Why are clinical trials important?
Clinical trials are important for discovering new treatments for diseases, as well as new ways to detect, diagnose, and reduce the chance of developing the disease.
Patient volunteers are our heroes
We strive to create clinical trials as diverse as the patients we serve. See the stories behind our work.
Join a clinical trial
A Perth clinical trial may give you access to new, innovative treatments. People who participate in a trial are often the first to access and benefit from new and emerging treatments.
- You get to discover new treatments.
- You get the chance to trial beneficial new treatments that make take years to become widely available.
- You get the chance to play an active role in your own healthcare.
- You get to enhance medical research. When a medication or treatment has a successful outcome, it can save thousands of lives.